I love Mexican food – tacos, quesadillas, burritos, nachos – it’s all so good! While some of the traditional ways to prepare Mexican food can involve a lot of fat and carbs, there are many ways you can enjoy light versions of the delicious flavor combinations in Mexican cuisine.
One of my favorite Mexican treats is burritos. I like mine packed with chicken, rice, salsa, guacamole and sauteed peppers and onions. This recipe takes all of the awesome ingredients of a chicken burrito and combines them in a healthy, delicious baked casserole.
Kids and adults love this, and leftovers are not likely!
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup of cooked corn kernels (from frozen or canned work fine)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup of Mexican style salsa
- 2 cups roasted or grilled chicken breast, chopped
- 3/4 cup plus 1/4 cup reduced fat shredded cheese
- 1/2 mashed avocado
- 1/4 cup of plain greek yogurt
- 2 cups of cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon of Mexican seasoning mix (Mexican spice mix or seasoning mix from a taco or fajita flavoring packet work great)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of dried cilantro (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- A pinch or two of black pepper
- 2 teaspoons of onion powder
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a square baking dish (I used an 8″ square glass Pyrex dish).
In a large skillet lightly coated with a bit of cooking oil/spray over medium heat, saute peppers and onions until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and toss to cook garlic, about 1 minute. Add corn, tomato sauce, chicken, Mexican seasoning, 1 tablespoon of cilantro, salt, pepper, onion powder. In a large bowl, combine mixture with rice, 3/4 cup of cheese, avocado, and yogurt and mix to combine.
Pour mixture into baking dish and spread salsa over the top. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheese and 1 teaspoon of cilantro on top of salsa. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Carefully remove from oven, remove foil (taking precaution to avoid hot steam), and return to the oven to cook for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to stand for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information | Makes 6 servings
267 calories, 8g fat, 30g carbs, 3.8g fiber, 24.5g protein
7 Weight Watchers PointsPlus per serving