Tonight for dinner, we really wanted Chicken Parmigiana but I didn’t feel like dealing with the long process of breading, baking, and waiting as long as it usually takes, so I came up with a short cut that allows you to make it all in one skillet in about 20 minutes!
- 4 4-0z. boneless, skinless chicken breasts fillets
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup of Italian breadcrumbs (I use 4C Gluten Free breadcrumbs mixed with 1/2 tbs Italian spice mix)
- 1 tablespoon of butter, oil or ghee
- 2 cups of light marinara or pasta sauce (anything around 40-60 calories per 1/2 cup – I love Brad’s Organics Tomato and Basil)
- 3 ounces of mild cheese, like mozzarella or provolone (I use Trader Joe’s Goat Milk cheese)
- 2 tablespoons of grated parmesan
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried of basil
Beat egg white in a bowl. Pour breadcrumbs onto a flat dish. Use a fork to dip each fillet into the egg whites and then coat each side with breadcrumbs. Allow ghee/butter/oil to warm over medium heat in the skillet. Add fillets to skillet and allow to cook and brown for several minutes before flipping to cook and brown other side. Pour marinara sauce over chicken, lower heat to medium low and cover for 10 minutes. Uncover and add cheese over each fillet and sprinkle with parmesan and herbs. Cover and allow cheese to melt for 2-3 minutes. Uncover, lower heat to low and allow to simmer for another 5 minutes or so. Allow to cool a bit before serving with pasta, quinoa, rice or mixed roasted vegetables.
Nutritional Info | Makes 4 servings
289 calories, 9.5g fat, 17g carbs, .5g fiber, 26g protein
7 Weight Watchers PointsPlus per serving