This cake is one of my mom’s favorites. It’s light and fluffy but extremely moist. It’s extremely light and low fat at only 91 calories and .7 grams of fat per slice!
The hints of ginger and cinnamon really compliment the sweetness of the pears and you can have a smaller serving, one of the slices as shown or a larger serving, both slices, for 182 calories and 1.4 grams of fat!
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 1/2 small and ripe pears, halved and cored with stems removed, divided as I reserve about 1/2 of a pear (I eat the other half as a reward for baking the cake!) to slice very thinly and line the top of the cake. I halve the rest of the pears and use a melon baller to scope the cores out and this works beautifully!
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup of sweetener and sugar blend (I used Truvia), plus 6 packets of no-cal sweetener
- 1 tablespoon of pure honey
- 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of liquid egg whites
- 1/4 cup of fat free milk
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
Preheat the oven to 350f.
Spray a pan or baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. I used a 9″ x 9″ square spring form pan.
Chop pear halves and in a food processor or blender, add pears and milk and blend. Add sweetener blend, sweetener packets, honey, egg whites, brown sugar, and vanilla extract and give it another quick blend. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
Pour pear mixture into dry ingredients and fold together until well incorporated but do not over mix.
Pour batter into baking dish or pan and spread to even. Carefully place very thin pear slices that you have reserved on top.
Bake in preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes or until edges are golden brown and a wooden stick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before using a sharp knife to cut into 18 slices.
Nutrition Facts | Makes 18 servings
91 calories, .7g fat, 20g carbs, 2.4g protein, 1.5g fiber
2 Weight Watchers PointsPlus per serving