This light version of chocolate cupcakes is super easy and super delicious! I use an old healthy baking trick of substituting oil with prune baby food and the result is a 112 calorie / 3 Weight Watchers point cupcake.
Some people ask if the prunes impart a strong taste, and while they do leave a very slight and sweet prune flavor, it compliments the chocolate beautifully and does not stop children from absolutely devouring them! With only 1.6g of fat for a moist cake, everyone loves these.
- 1 box of Devil’s Food Cake Mix (I used Betty Crocker Super Moist)
- 5 oz. of prunes baby food (I used two 2.5 oz. containers of Gerber 1st Foods prunes) If you don’t have prune baby food, you can also use 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree, either fresh, peeled, cooked and mashed or canned.
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup of liquid egg whites
- 1 cup of water
- Nonstick cooking spray (I used coconut)
- Marshmallow creme in jar (I used Jet-puffed brand)
- 12 Cadbury mini creme eggs, carefully cut in half with a sharp knife
Preheat oven to 325 and line cupcake pan with 24 liners. Spray inside of liners with a light misting of non-stick cooking spray. In a bowl, combine cake mix, prune baby food, egg, egg whites and water and mix well.
Drop about 3 tablespoons of mix into each cupcake liner.
Bake for about 20 minutes or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
Place on cooling rack and allow to cool completely before using a knife to spread 2 tsp of marshmallow creme on each one and then top with half a mini creme egg.
Light Bites Done Right Tip! Wait until just before serving to decorate with marshmallow creme as after a few hours, it will start to melt a bit – once you put them out, the cupcakes won’t make it that long though! 🙂
Nutrition Facts | Makes 24 servings | 1 cupcake each
112 calories, 1.6g fat, 22g carbs, .5g fiber, 1.9g protein
3 Weight Watchers PointsPlus per cupcake