Pesto is one of my favorites, but with all the oil, nuts and cheese that it typically includes, it isn’t exactly light! It’s also pretty expensive to make, considering that a small packet of pine nuts alone is about $6.00!
Wanting to create a lighter version both in terms of calories/fat and wallet impact, I came up with this. It combines all of the classic flavors of pesto, but uses some smart substitutions, such as toasted walnuts and peppery mixed greens with herbs rather than fresh basil. My family loves it!
- 2 cups of mixed greens with herbs
- 2 tablespoons of chopped walnuts, toasted (I just toss them in a pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes)
- 2 tablespoons of light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of fat free milk
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoons of dried basil
- ½ tsp of salt
Place all ingredients in a blender and blitz! Heat before serving. Gorgeous over any pasta.
Nutrition Facts | Makes 2 servings, ¼ cup each
124 calories, 9.25g fat, 6.75g carbs, 1.9g carbs, 4.5g protein
3 Weight Watchers PointsPlus per serving