Chewy, delicious and nutritious cookies inspired by the famous candy bar. You can feel good about eating these.
My 6 year-old niece Olivia visited today and we love to bake together. One of the things I have noticed about picky eaters, including my own 6 year-old Darcey, is that they are so much more likely to eat something if they have helped to make it. We were talking about what we could bake and I was listing off some of the things I had in the cupboard, when I got to “coconut” Olivia made a face and said she hated coconut. I love coconut about as much as I love a challenge, so I asked her to help me make cookies that she didn’t have to eat and we would give to my mother because Almond Joys are her favorite. Olivia agreed and we came up with these. The little coconut hater just had her third one! 🙂
- 3 tablespoons of unsweetened coconut flakes (I used Bob’s Red Mill fine macaroon coconut and I reserve about a teaspoon to sprinkle on top of cookies)
- 3 tablespoons of unsweetened apple sauce
- ¼ cup and 1 tablespoon of flour (I used whole grain oat flour)
- 1 tablespoon of sweetener+sugar blend (I used Domino Stevia & Sugar Blend)
- ½ tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon of mini chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life Dairy, Nut, and Soy free Mini Choc Chips and I always reserve a few to press into the tops of the cookies)
- 1 tablespoon of slivered almonds
Preheat oven to 350f. Line a cookie sheet with parchment. In a mixing bowl, combine coconut, cocoa, flour, sugar blend, apple sauce, until a doughy mixture begins to form. Fold in chips and almonds, reserving a few to sprinkle on top if desired.
Drop 2-teaspoon size balls of dough (I use a cookie scoop) to make exactly 7 cookies. Because they don’t have a leavening agent, like baking powder, they won’t flatten and spread on their own, so simply press the raw dough a bit with your fingers to flatten them before putting them in the oven to bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool completely before enjoying.
Nutrition Facts | Makes 7 servings, 1 cookie each
48 calories, 2.5g fat, 6.7g carbs, .9g fiber, 1g protein
1 Weight Watcher PointsPlus for 1 cookie, 3 PointsPlus for 2 cookies